Monday, March 26, 2007

I saved a worm today...

Em and I were at the park, the sun was shining the sky was blue and the air crisp. Moving from activity to activity, squishing our feet through the gravel, no cares, no worries. We made our way to the digging equipment, and practiced loading and unloading rocks with the bucket and that's when I saw him. I feel it was a him, he was wriggling and dry getting closer and closer to being scooped up indiscriminately.

Em didn't see him and darted towards the scoop, her little feet barely missing his tiny body, fighting against the gravel and yearning for the wet cool grass. My heart jumped and I started to panic. Literally, I felt that feeling of tension that happens in your chest when someone or something (usually a loved one) comes fatefully close to serious injury.

The strange thing is I hesitated, not because I didn't want to save him, he most certainly deserved it and was working hard to gain his next shot at salvation. I imagined his feeling a sense of despair at the vastness of the gravel that surrounded him like the desert, reprieve was somewhere, but he was just to small to make it alone. I wanted to help him..... but I just didn't want to touch him.

I sucked it up scooped him up, like the hands of god, and re-set the path of his life in a few seconds. How did I get here he pondered, how is it that my fortune has changed in an instant, miracles do happen. I believe!

Yup, I saved a worm and I have to say I am feeling pretty good about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny, the other day I watched a worm wiggle its way out of a puddle on to higher ground and I marveled at the determination and courage of this little creature. I thought, I should be more like that worm! You and I should write a book..."Worm lessons for the soul". Ha!